In September 2016, parenting author and educator Maggie Dent put a post on Facebook about the best reads to prepare children for a sibling.
DISCLAIMER: These tips are shared from our Facebook community – please do your own research when making choices for your family. Also please note we have left people’s entries largely unedited so there will be imperfections in grammar and spelling.
The original Facebook post:
What is the best book/resource you’ve found to help prepare your first child for the arrival of a new sibling and explaining conception to very young kids? Many of you probably remember ‘Where Did I Come From?” (1977) was the go-to book. But what’s yours been? We often get parents writing in asking for recommendations so we’d love to draw on the wisdom of our FB community and hear what you think… over to you.
Here is a list of the books mentioned and discussed in the Facebook comments in the full tips sheet:
- Hello Baby by Jenni Overend
- Mummy Laid Nn Egg by Babette Cole
- My New Baby by Rachel Fuller
- On Mother’s Lap by Ann Herbert Scott
- I’m A Big Brother by Joanne Cole
- Za Za’s Baby Brother by Lucy Cousins
- The Amazing True Story Of How Babies Are Made by Fiona Katauskas
- Where Willy Went by Nicholas Allen
- Happy Birth Day! by Robie H. Harris
- It’s NOT The Stork by Robie H. Harris
- Where Did I Come From? by Peter Mayle
- Hey Hippopotamus, Do Babies Eat Cake too? By Hazel Edwards
- There’s A House Inside My Mummy by Giles Andreae
- You’re A Big Brother by David Bedford
- Everybody Has A Belly Button by Laurence Pringle
- The New Baby by Mercer Mayer
- The Not So Perfect Baby by Nicole Baxter
Other suggested resources include:
- Baby+Me by Lauren Gardiner, Illustrations by Grace West.
- Making your own photo book of your previous babies’ early days
- More Kids Less Stress by Karen Menzies
- Toddler Tactics by Pink McKay (holds a useful chapter)
Download the full top tips sheet for all the Facebook responses in a handy printable format:
Top Tips Best Reads to Prepare Children for a Sibling (1).pdf