Commonly known as the “queen of common sense”, Maggie Dent has become one of Australia’s favourite parenting authors and educators, with a particular interest in the early years, adolescence and resilience.
Maggie’s experience includes teaching, counselling, and working in palliative care/funeral services and suicide prevention. Maggie is an advocate for the healthy, common-sense raising of children in order to strengthen families and communities. She is a passionate, positive voice for children of all ages.
Now an in-demand writer and speaker, Maggie is a regular contributor to Fairfax’s Essential Kids website and she can often be heard on commercial and ABC radio around the country including Nova 937. She also appears on national TV programs. Maggie is the host of the ABC’s Parental As Anything podcast.
She is the author of six major books, including her bestselling 2018 release Mothering Our Boys. Maggie has also authored several smaller books and e-books, and is a prolific creator of resources for parents, adolescents, teachers, educators and others who are interested in quietly improving their lives.
Maggie is the proud mother of four wonderful sons, and an enthusiastic and grateful grandmother. She lives in the South Coast region of NSW with her good bloke Steve Mountain and their dear little dog, Mr Hugo Walter Dent.
Maggie’s books include:
- Mothering Our Boys: A Guide for Mums of Sons (2018)
- Real Kids in an Unreal World: How to Build Resilience and Self-Esteem in Today’s Children (2nd ed, 2017)
- Nurturing Kids’ Hearts and Souls: Building Emotional, Social and Spiritual Competency (rev ed 2010)
- Saving Our Adolescents: Supporting Today’s Adolescents through the Bumpy Ride to Adulthood (2010)
- Saving Our Children from Our Chaotic World: Teaching Children the Magic of Silence and Stillness (rev ed, 2009)
- 9 Things: A Back-to-Basics Guide to Calm, Common-sense, Connected Parenting Birth-8 (2014)
- Building Children’s Resilience: Essential Tips for Parents of Children Birth-12 (2015)
- A Dog’s Life Wisdoms: 21 Life Wisdoms from a Dog Called Jess (2016).
- Black Duck Wisdom (rev ed 2011)
- Some Secrets for the Modern-Day Mammoth Hunter: Becoming and Being a Good Man (2014)
- My Cool Plastics Cupboard (a picture book illustrated by Linda True-Arrow) (2015)
Maggie is an ambassador for Telethon in WA, a champion of the Telethon Kids Institute trust established 50 years ago to financially support the medical & social welfare of children and which funds research into children’s diseases. Maggie is also a proud ambassador for Smiling Mind a not-for-profit web and app-based meditation program whose goal is to have mindfulness on the Australian Curriculum by 2020.
Maggie is a patron of the Bold Park Community School in Perth, Peel Youth Services in Mandurah WA and the WA Association of Teacher Assistants (WAATA). She is an ambassador for The Sanctuary – The Hills Women’s Shelter in NSW.