Podcasts and audio books remove the visual impact while enjoying the magic of the spoken word…we asked our Facebook community to share their favourite audios and podcasts that they have used….
Check out this fantastic list of 20 Awesome Podcasts Your Kids Will Flip For published by Red Tricycle and compiled by Frannie Ucciferri, Common Sense Media. It has a great explanation of how to use podcasts, and lists 20 of the best for kids in detail.
Also, the team at the new Screenagers podcast, put together this list of 22 Podcasts Kids and Teens are Listening to Right Now.
Steve Schiff compiled The 15 Best Podcasts for Kids That Adults Will Like Too for fatherly.com and there are some fantastic suggestions on there (with everything from music, science, bedtime stories, to actors acting out stories written by kids… and more).
The ABC published this list of the Seven kids’ podcasts for any parent about to lose their mind on a road trip.
Beyond Empathy has a suite of podcasts called Podcasts from the Edge, made collaboratively with young people (who happen to live in places that are considered disadvantaged) that use a unique blend of fictional and informational stories, where young people are leading conversations about anything and everything that is important to them.
Project Ari is a wonderful short podcast for kids aged around 8-10, which is designed as a tool to help start meaningful conversations with kids about respectful behaviour. So well done!
Our Facebook followers also suggested:
Kinderling Kids Radio – Family-friendly kids radio for children and their grown ups.
Short and Curly (An ABC podcast) – “a fast-paced fun-filled ethics podcast for kids and their parents, with questions and ideas to really get you thinking.”
Fun Kids Science Weekly (from the UK) – exploring weird and cool science stuff.
Barefoot Books podcast
Marvelous Musical podcast by David Walliams
Singalong with Angie Who
How I Built This with Guy Raz
Six Minutes – Gen Z Media
Fierce Girls on ABC Radio
But Why: A podcast for curious kids by NPR
Listenable with Dylan Alcott and Angus
Alien Adventures of Finn Caspian with Mars Patel
Noisy by Nature by ABC Kids
Radiolab for Kids
That’s Incredible – Mamamia
Win the Morning, Win the Day – Hall’s Taekwondo
Imagine This, ABC Kids
History Storytime – For Kids
The Fact Detectives – Kinderling Kids Radio
Mrs Honeybee bedtime stories
More Than Just a Kid in Care – teen appropriate
Here were the top audiobook suggestions from our community too:
- The Alison Lester collection
- The Julia Donaldson collection
- The Dr Suess collection
- Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis
- Enid Blyton collection
- Mem Fox collection
- Roald Dahl collection
- Emily Rodda collection
- Harry Potter series
- Zac Power series
- Charlotte’s Web by EB White
- Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
- Stig of the Dump by Clive King
- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
- The Water Horse by Dick King-Smith
- True Spirit by Jessica Watson
- His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman
- Horrid Henry books by Francesca Simon
- Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery
- Milly Molly Mandy by Joyce Brisley
- The Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav Pilkey
- My Naughty Little Sister collection by Dorothy Edwards
- Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
- My Brother’s Famous Bottom series by Jeremy Strong
- The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
- How to Train Your Dragon series by Cressida Cowell
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
- Treehouse series by Andy Griffiths
- Star Wars trilogy by George Lucas
- The Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix
- Tom Gates series by Liz Pichon
- World’s Worst Children by David Williams
- The Tripp Diaries by Stig Wemyss
- Bedtime Stories by R.A.Spratt
- The Happiest Refugee by Anh Do