I developed a real affinity for adolescents through my work as a high-school teacher, an adolescent and family counsellor, and as the mother of four sons. Sometimes parents (and teens themselves) feel like an alien has landed during this interesting stage of development – and my own adolescence was challenged by low self-esteem. Once we understand what is going on for our adolescents however, particularly with their brain development, we can be a greater support for them and help them ‘take the high road’.
One of the key things I emphasise in all my work around adolescents, is the importance of safe adult allies, or “lighthouses” — safe guides who are not their parents who help our teens through the turbulence of adolescence.
I have dedicated much of my almost 40 years’ experience to better understanding, supporting and connecting with adolescents and the people who live and work with them. I hope the resources on this page aid this bumpy ride from child to adult for all teens, parents and lighthouses travelling this road.
My key resources in supporting you to support your adolescents are:
- Some Things About Teens – the book.
- Adolescence Unplugged: Surviving & Thriving in the Teenage Years – my self-paced online course for anyone who lives or works with adolescents.
- Saving Our Adolescents Video – the video seminar available on DVD or video on demand.
- Your Kit Bag for a Very Bumpy Ride – a fantastic resource pack of ebooks, audio visualisations, infographics and more FOR ADOLESCENTS, available on USB or as an instant download.
- From Boys to Men – a comprehensive guide for parents on raising their boys to grow into happy, healthy men.