Adolescence has always been a tricky stage of life and, for many reasons, our modern world has made it trickier still. Statistically today’s adolescents are struggling at higher rates than previous generations. Research shows that they’re struggling with stress, school and study problems, body image, and mental health.
For teachers and others who work in schools, the challenge is to create an environment in which all our students can flourish and thrive, especially those with challenges. This means they need to feel:
- seen & heard
- that they belong
- that they have some autonomy
- that there is a sense of fun and joy in it all.
The Lighthouse Model is based on the premise that all it takes is one adult ally in any adolescent’s life to “make me feel I matter”.
The model was created by parenting author and educator Maggie Dent, based on her experience as a former secondary school English teacher, counsellor, and her work in suicide prevention and community resilience.
In this eBook, Maggie explores HOW we can support adolescents and looks at the 10 areas through which a lighthouse may facilitate the healthy growth and development of an adolescent.
The book will help you better understand what’s going on for our adolescents, and shine a light on what you can say and do to support teens on their bumpy ride to adulthood.
Maggie knows many teachers are struggling too – under the pressure of expectations and data. This manual is designed to offer you simple, concise information that you can implement immediately in your classroom to build a cohesive, caring culture.
- Why are we worried?
- How can schools change these disturbing statistics?
- The secret power of the nudge
- What is a lighthouse? – The Lighthouse Model
- 10 supports lighthouses need to be able to offer adolescents
- The emotional barometer & the tipping point
- Form teachers matter
- The amazing brain
- Helping students to identify strengths
- Background – What is adolescence?
- Let’s get technical about adolescent brain development…
- Building resilience matters
- Building life skills and competencies
- Managing BUGS – big ugly emotional states
- Managing stress and anxiety
- Best books to read
- Recommended viewing
- Appendix 1: Failure and failure to please
- Appendix 2: 21 ways to improve ‘bad’ behaviour in our schools.