From Boys to Men: guiding our teen boys to grow into happy, healthy men
For boys, adolescence can be a confusing minefield and parents are often bewildered as to how to best guide their precious sons.
Many parents wake one day to find that their beautiful little boys have grown into silent, withdrawn, sometimes angry and often unmotivated tweens and teens.
Well-known Australian author, parenting and resilience educator, and one of Australia’s favourite boy experts Maggie Dent, offers parents and guardians a compassionate and practical guidebook, packed with advice and ground-breaking techniques on how to stay calm and:
- Communicate effectively to defuse conflict
- ‘Unstick’ an unmotivated son
- Teach them to cope with loss and failure, and how to recover
- Help them foster healthy friendships and intimate relationships
- Navigate technology and the digital world.
From Boys to Men empowers parents with insights, tips and a common-sense approach to help all boys – and their families – thrive as they progress through adolescence, offering hope for a future of adventure, stability, engagement and connection.
Featuring a Foreword by Michael Gurian
“As a child advocate and author in the United States, I’ve long admired Maggie’s work not just for her unmistakable wit but also her insights and practical strategies that resonate with both brain science and common sense… When Maggie speaks I love to listen!”
– Dr Michael Gurian, New York Times bestselling author, including Saving Our Sons and The Stone Boys
1. Help – someone has stolen my son!
PART 1 WHAT’S GOING ON WITH OUR BOYS?
2. The bridge of adolescence and the biological
drivers towards manhood
3. Important and interesting information on behaviour common to boys
4. The teen brain – what’s really happening?
5. What’s with all these emotions?
6. When the going gets really tough mentally
PART 2 WHAT CAN WE DO TO GUIDE OUR BOYS TO MANHOOD?
7. For confused mammas . . . and mother figures
8. For confused dads . . . and father figures
9. Why lighthouses matter so much
10. Helping our teen boys with failure and adversity and teaching them how to recover
11. What to do when your son makes a mistake or a poor choice
12. Teen boy communication that really works
13. Raising boys with character who will care about themselves, others and our world
14. Please help me with my unmotivated son
15. Navigating middle school and high school
16. Fragile boy friendships and what can help
17. Exploring sexuality and intimate relationships
18. Technology and the digital world
19. How to talk about drugs, alcohol, parties, cars and going out safely
20. Letting go
A final, special message for parents
New Zealand Customers
- The book will be available in NZ bookstores from 4 September.
- Preorders for NZ are available here
- The print version of the book will be released in Australia initially, while the ebook and audiobook versions will be available internationally. We’ll update you as the printed book becomes available outside of Australia, however for now ebook and audiobook are your best bet.